Book Review: Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy # 1) by Kiersten White

I will definitely add this book to my favorites. 

We all know that paranormals - vampires, werewolves, elves, mermaids, etcetera, are all cliche but this book didn't make me cringe or shout pathetic! at the top of my lungs and made me throw the book far enough to hit the bedroom wall. Nope. None of that.

Evie's thoughts and conversations with other characters were natural and it didn't feel off. I was able to visualize what everyone was feeling and there were no moments where I felt left off due to a sudden shift of emotions or topics. I saw some reviews that ranted about Evie's bleeping but it didn't bother me and you have to know where that came from - I thought it was cute and funny, actually. 

The female lead is a very strong character - smart, sassy and confident, in my humble opinion. Now there were some moments where Evie blamed herself and oh boy when the heroine starts blaming herself I start getting twitchy. I hate weak female protagonists - not necessarily physically weak, although that can be a factor, it's more the weepy and clingy types that I absolutely abhor. It's like, grow some she-balls girl! Get over yourself and start doing something! I did say, Evie went on a bit about how stuff was her fault but I liked that she got over it quickly. She also (mostly) discusses what she feels with the male lead so they can talk like the mature young adults they are hence, not much weeping, pretense, melodrama and general wretchedness all around! Very happy me! 

The romance in this book is certainly well-paced. There were no sudden rushes of emotions or corny declarations of love. I would imagine this was how most people's love lives would go - don't bash me please, I said most. I like how their 'courtship' was subtle and how there was nothing forced or rushed about it. It was certainly, awwwww sweet! I'm thinking a love triangle is possible and I hope Kiersten White would lean on that angle since the other guy has kilig potential. *giggling like a daft twit*

**Possible Spoilers Ahead**

The plot kept me reading for less than 12 hours so I knew it was awesome. Evie's conflict is something that I've not encountered before...I'm going through all the books I've read and there were some similarities as to how she felt about the whole thing, hint: "I felt sorry for her. She feels so sad and lonely..." but I have yet to encounter anything like this antagonist before so I kept on turning the pages to know more about Evie's 'issues' and how she would resolve it. I'm certainly satisfied as to how she dealt with it and the cliff-hangers are perfect too. I would like to immerse myself more in Evie's world so I'm super excited to read book 2, Supernaturally.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.